Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Another goal done: Gizzards!

I’m fairly adventurous when it comes to trying new things. Last weekend I got to expand my palate a little more at Joe’s Gizzard City in Potterville, MI.


I traveled to Michigan with Mom and the younger two sisters to visit my grandpa. My family doesn’t know how much longer he’ll be with us so I was extra glad to be able to make the visit. We stayed with an uncle/aunt in Lansing. I couldn’t help but notice that Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives made a visit to Joe’s Gizzard City, which is just a few miles away from my uncle’s house. I had to visit. After all, it is the only gizzard city in the world.

When at a gizzard city I just had to try the gizzards. I won’t lie; the concept of eating gizzards kind of grossed me out. I butchered my own chickens several years ago and the gizzard was one of the parts that typically got added to the scrap pile. We ordered the sampler platter of various fried gizzards. They weren’t bad. I don’t think I’m going to run out to get gizzards anytime soon, but I am glad I can now say I’ve had them. It just so happens that I had a goal of eating something I wouldn’t normally. Gizzards definitely fall in that category. Goal done.

I didn’t stop at the gizzards though. I tried the “Triple D” burger. The burger is a 1/3lb burger with pickle, cheese, and onion that is all breaded and fried. I can’t believe I ate it. I definitely now understand why America is overweight.

No comments:

Post a Comment