Monday, December 26, 2011

Award Winning Swamp Dip

For years our family tradition has included a smorgasbord after the Christmas Eve church service. Each kid could make requests and then magically they’d appear on the table.

This year my sister suggested we change the format to have a “dip-off”.  Everyone could enter one dip, which would be judged on taste, presentation, and originality. I knew the competition would be fierce so some standard cheese dip of guacamole just wouldn’t do. I knew I’d have to improvise.

The competition ended up being a chocolate cake dip, buffalo chicken dip, cowboy caviar, loaded baked potato dip, nacho dip, and cocktail sauce. I came up with my very own swamp dip recipe, inspired by my travels to N’awlins. I served it in a cast iron skillet for a rustic feal and relied on the festive green onion and red crawfish tails for presentation points.

I’m proud to say that this recipe bested the cake dip by 2 points to be grand champion of the inaugural family dip-off.

Note, the next morning I ate this on top of some eggs. I feel like this was made as a topping for eggs. When I finally get tired of corporate America and open my food stand this may be a breakfast special.



Swamp Dip
1lb Alligator meat, diced
2T Old Bay blackened seasoning
1T Olive Oil
1lb andouille sausage, diced
1.5 cups butter, diced
1 bunch green onion
20oz crawfish tails – peeled and precooked
4T flour
1 can condensed milk
2.5 lbs cheese (I used a mixture of smoked cheddar and white cheddar)
1. Heat olive oil in largest cast iron skillet you can find. Meanwhile mix alligator meat with blackened seasoning. When oil is hot sauté gator meat until done and set aside. Brown andouille in same pan and set aside.
2. Add butter to skillet. When butter is hot add green onion and crawfish tails. Cook on medium until crawfish is heated through, about 5 minutes. Add flour and stir to coat crawfish in flour. Cook another minute and then add condensed milk.
3. When condensed milk is simmering turn heat to low and slowly add cheese, stirring until melted. Add alligator and andouille back in and serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment