Thursday, August 11, 2011

RAGBRAI Part 5

Day 4 was supposed to be easy. It was short (55mi) and flattest day of all RAGBRAI. It was supposed to be a recharge day mid-week. I woke up looking forward to an easy day with an early arrival into Altoona.

Come to find out after 3 continuous days of riding nothing is easy. The day was hot with a slight head wind. If I recall correctly the heat index was around 110 degrees.
Early in the day my bike developed an awesome automatic transmission feature. About every quarter mile it should change gears. While annoying it didn’t slow me down too much. A bike repair guy in Slater fixed me up in a few minutes.

I definitely wasn’t the fastest member of TFP. I’m sure by day 4 the teammates were getting tired of waiting for me in the pass though towns. Next year I might train a bit more.

Either way the short day was welcomed. We rolled into Altoona with tons of daylight left. The welcome was incredible. We stayed with a teammates Aunt/Uncle. Lounging on their deck was amazing. Their shower was even better. There was an amazing dinner complete with tasty peanut butter cup cookies. Sleeping in AC felt amazing.

My body ached more than before. Walking down stairs took a huge amount of work and was slow going. Nevertheless I was excited to have finished over half of RAGBRAI! Four months prior I didn’t even own a bike. Who woulda thought I’d make it that far? At that point I thought I might actually finish the whole week. Wouldn’t that be crazy? Day 4 was over.

No comments:

Post a Comment